How Big Data can safely fuel the Industry 4.0
MARTEL contributes to the development of the first open source implementation of the Industrial Data Space Architecture (IDS) based on FIWARE.
As part of Industry 4.0, big data analytics are useful in predictive manufacturing and are a major theme for industrial technology development. To assist manufacturers in maintaining a competitive edge in operational management control and in improving their production efficiency and yield rates, the FIWARE Foundation, in cooperation with the Industrial Data Association, is developing a distributed data management solution with integrated learning capability.
The Zero Break-downs/Defect Manufacturing Use Case has been developed by selected members of the FIWARE Foundation (MARTEL, Atos, NEC and UPM) in collaboration with the Swiss mechanical engineering company Georg Fischer AG and the Innovalia Group. It shows how the maintenance of milling and coordinate measuring machines (CMMs) can be improved by exchanging plant data in a confidentiality-preserving way. Each of the two machines can improve configuration and maintenance by using the data produced by the other machine. The contextual data is exported directly from the installation via the FIWARE platform. Thus, both machines work synchronously and adapt to each other for the best possible result of the manufactured end product.
Why is the solution SMART, and what are the industry benefits?
- An advanced machine learning algorithm analyzes process data collected from production systems to provide early warning for anomalies and system failures and to predict product quality.
- It improves predictive maintenance tasks, reduces failures
- It improves the quality management of the components
- Data analysis is based on the manufacturing process, overriding information silos
- The Zero Break-downs/Defect Manufacturing solution ensures secure and certified data exchange between companies in the supply chain without the data owners losing sovereignty – control – over their own data. It therefore helps to utilise and spread smart service concepts.
- It ensures that only specific data are exchanged and only for specific specific purposes
- The solution, based on FIWARE, is open source, easily customized, scalable and interoperable, reducing the ROI and TCO, making it affordable for SMEs.
What is MARTEL’s role?
MARTEL, as member of the FIWARE Foundation, participated in the development of the Zero Break-downs/Defect Manufacturing solution. MARTEL provides the platform automation solution used to scale and manage the platform and a scalable time series data analytics and visualisation solution that supports the real time data analytics over the manufacturing process. Dr. Federico Facca, Head of MARTEL Lab says “We have been pioneering FIWARE since its inception. We are proud members of the FIWARE Foundation and we have provided highly skilled services, trainings and customized FIWARE applications to the marketplace since 2017. Using FIWARE, we have developed smart city, healthcare and security applications. It was simply natural for us to step into the industry 4.0 applications.”
What is FIWARE?
A market-ready open source software, combining components that enable the connection to IoT with Context Information Management and Big Data services in the Cloud. To know more www.fiware.org
Meet us in Hannover
Martel Lab looks forward meeting you at Hannover Messe, at the FIWARE Foundation stand, Hall 8, Stand C31
INNOVATION. WE MAKE IT HAPPEN
Martel is a dynamic Swiss-based consultancy with more than 20 years’ experience managing innovation projects across Europe and worldwide. After more than one hundred projects, Martel has grown from its origins as a small business with just three employees into a thriving agency with 16 employees located in offices in Zurich, Lugano, Bern and Lausanne.
Building on its foundation in EC project management consulting, Martel’s business has diversified to include EC funding, R&D and innovation research, training, marketing and media. With a skilled and passionate team, we are here to help you achieve your innovation goals for today, and the future.
Through our three business units, we support you throughout the lifecycle of your innovation project, from facilitating R&D and sourcing funding to building your brand and helping you bring it to market. We also offer tailored Horizon 2020 support and comprehensive training programmes across our service offering.